Friday, October 28, 2011

I have seen u somewhere...

                It occurs most of the time with my patients...and I am beginning to get embarassed about it now .  Whoa ! they are not MY patients as yet , but I would like to say so because the most fantabulous thing about being in the doctor's profession is having an actual power to bring about real changes of betterment in our patients' lives, people's lives......Just the feeling that my advice , sometimes timely , could change their life and prevent unwanted , unnecessary ill health imbues me with a satisfaction unparalleled by any other of the myriad things that my life's chock-a-bloc with .

          So, as much as possible , I always try to meet up with my patients and chat them up about their progress ,  I love giving general health care tips .....( Prevention is better than cure , right ! ) . It's uplifting to experience the feeling of reassurance that they look up to you for .....and the actuality of the immense responsibility that we bear never fails to move me......

          Only one minor hitch ! I hardly remember their faces ! So, when these folks come up to me , it takes some explaining on their part before Total Recall arrives !  De facto, I totally rememeber their case histories , but I just don't know which belongs to whom !

           So, when yesterday this woman who was being prepared for her Ceasarean section , asked me to be by her side in the Operation Theatre , my facial expressions duly made her realise my short term memory loss ! Nevertheless, I'm quick to recover and looking forward to visit her tomorrow....

           And day before yesterday , cycling back to my hostel , this woman on the road with a baby boy in her lap , actually bowed before me with folded hands . Turns out , I had given her son an anti-rabies immunoglobulin shot !

         So, my impaired posterior parietal cortex has given me some more occassions , the long term memory of which , I have preserved enough to cringe about ....

            One thing , it's overwhelming to acknowledge the respect with which people look up to you .......It' never a source of arrogance, but just humbles me everyday to find that I know so little and there's a whole uncharted sea before me....

        Anyway , there are exceptions to my idiosyncratic amnesia , though which I confess are entirely selfish ! I never forget the good-looking blokes .......well, you can't accuse me...It's just the unfair advantage that physical beauty has in all spheres of life !

         So, as a poor unfortunate sufferer of this patient-specific amnesia , the only cure I am left with is this :  I can only pray to God with folded hands that He ensures a steady inflow of those who constitute the veritable exceptions to my ailment .....
               

2 comments:

  1. This short prose justifies firstly the adequate nic "Cute Doc" of Dr. Sneh Pradhan.

    Next to that, this reality-based fiction touches the soul of the reader & that too with humour and a slight afflatus / inflatus of melancholy.

    Worth Reading. Jai Ho!!!

    Anant Kumar, Member of German Writers Association
    www.anant-kumar.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Anant , it's not fiction......everythin I post on ma blog are true situations in my life ! :)

    ReplyDelete